Saturday, October 15, 2011

Pennsylvannia Hospital

Pennsylvania Hospital was the first hospital built in the US, and part of the Penn Medicine system. While the Hospital of the University of Pennsylvannia gets most of the hoop-la, because it is one of the best hosptials in the US, really my favorite is Pennsy. It's small, in the center of things and kinda scrappy - just like me ha ha! They are also in a perfect position to be a petri dish of experimentation, which health care really needs.
One afternoon, I had a presentation to make, but then snuck out afterwards to do a little tour. This is the first operating theater built in the US. Clearly it is no longer in use, but the wood work is amazing.

"Relax, I'm a doctor's wife and have heard so much about this over BBQs I'm sure I can operate..." HA HA.

Really the pictures don't do it justice. The old medical library is equally as detailed in the woodwork. The books were just gorgeous, even though you could only gaze at them behind the glass. The room is mainly used now for meetings, though it is open to tourists.

Always fun to see something off the beaten track at work!

No comments:

Post a Comment