My last book review for the year - Here's to keeping New Year's Resolutions! I'm not sure if I'll keep these up in 2013 as I have some other goals for the year. Writing them really made me think about what I was reading, which was the whole point!
**************
Book Review: True Prep by Lisa Birnbach with Chip Kidd
Meant to be an updated version of the “The Official Preppy
Handbook” which apparently was a publishing sensation in the 80’s, “True Prep”
was published too late to be of use to me. I really could have used it starting
in 2005. Still, it was like reading cliff notes of all I learned living in
Hanover, NH for 4 years. There is also a fair amount of the non-parody writing
that describes the culture in Philadelphia, especially at P.
It took me four years to understand and begin to appreciate
the preppy. It really is more of an acquired taste. Really it wasn’t until I
went to the preppiest business school of all time, Tuck School of Business at
Dartmouth, that I began to have my eye trained to really appreciate and
understand the preppy. Lisa’s take on
preppiness- half mocking half serious – runs along two threads. Looking preppy
and being preppy. While my eye will always be more urban than preppy, I was
alarmed to learn my core might actually be more preppy then I was willing to
admit.
Nina Garcia, fashion maven and judge of “Project Runway”
wrote about her first exposure to girls wearing pink cardigans in MA in the
introduction to one of her books. She said something like, “what is this…preppy.” It made me laugh, because that
was my first reaction upon moving to NH. Nina Garcia is also South American (from
Colombia) and many of her style sensibilities are familiar to me. I’ll never
forget our first event for Dartmouth Medical School, it was late summer and I
wore a denim skirt and platform red Miu Miu sandals (4 inch heels). Everybody
else was wearing flip flops. Whatever these New England girls were doing did
not come naturally to me.
Preppiness is not an urban phenomenon and I am at my core an
urban Emily. Four inch Miu Miu sandals is more the vein of the Hong Kong girl
than the preppy girl (Hong Kong is hands down one of my favorite cities). According
to Lisa, preppiness is a sensibility born of the country. You can infer from
Lisa’s book that preppys don’t really like the city. Mostly it is a place to
work from Monday through Thursday (Lisa uses the word “work” loosely) then head
to their vacation homes and clubs on the weekend and most of the summer.
There’s a lot more mud and less pavement in the country, hence the need for
more sensible footwear. In Lisa’s definition, true preppiness is synonymous
with sporty.
However, looking beyond the sportswear, pearls and cardigans
and there are quite a few of Lisa’s preppy cores I can check off. Private
school education K-12: Check. Love of travel (no Vegas): Check. Book Club Member: Check. Shelves and shelves
of books in the house: Check. Willingness to engage in sports like golf: Check.
Wearing my mom’s vintage and mending them when necessary: Check. Love of Stationary:
Check. Playing an instrument, swimming, speaking a second language, Check Check
Check. Extreme Frugality: Double Check Plus Plus. Amusingly, according to her
definitions, I am more preppy than my husband (I’m a financial analyst, a very
preppy career choice, Birnbach doesn’t think physicians qualify for the
moniker.)
In the end, a tongue in cheek read, though this city girl
could have used it in 2005. Though I’ll never be one of the girls who can wear a
tie as a belt and pull it off still, it was amusing to read and at least help
put the forces I was exposed to for that time into an amusing and proper perspective.
The reading list she lays out alone was worth a perusal, but really I’m glad
this book was a borrow and not a purchase.
No comments:
Post a Comment