Book Review:
All In One Basket By Deborah Mitford, Duchess of Devonshire
My introduction to the Cavendish family’s role in history
and culture was the same as for most people, through art. One of the last exhibits in NY I was able to see before we moved to NH was a collection of some of their holdings. I was very impressed, and have only seen one other family
collection that could beat it.
This exhibit in NY intrigued me to learn more
about Devonshire line.That is how I learned about the Mitford sisters, as the Dowager Duchess of Devonshire is the youngest of that family that had a front
row seat for the 20th century. I enjoyed “Wait for me!” (her previously
published memoirs) so much that the combined book of her writings “All In One
Basket” made the list of vacation reading.
Deborah Mitford, the youngest Mitford sister and Dowager Duchess
of Devonshire, has had a very privileged and interesting life. This book of
writings however, focuses mostly on her thoughts of country life and the
running of Chatsworth, the Cavendish family seat. I was grateful for this, because
it’s really the more interesting story (which just goes to show you how boring
I am, cause she did meet Hitler and her sisters were revolutionaries. Most
people would say that is much more interesting).
Her musings on country life makes her a sort of Andy Rooney
of rural England railing against, “liquid soap machine where the thing you
press to get the stuff out is invisible” and extoling the virtues of “nurses in
uniform, muffins and the 1662 Prayer Book.” Rural life and running a country
state is held together by things such as the “Annual competition held by the Derbyshire
Branch of the Dry Stone Walling Association”. It’s amusing to read, especially
for this city girl.
However, hidden within these ramblings is an impressive MBA
worthy story. She and her husband saved
Chatsworth from 80% death duties after WWII into a self-sustaining tourist destination with 600,000 visitors a
year (puts it on par with Graceland). Don’t let her false modesty fool you –
she was in charge of managing a large organization, with several hundred people
depending on the estate for their livelihood and for engineering a completely a successful
turnaround. It’s not something she takes lightly, and the projects she writes
about, the farm shop, educational farm and other tourist draws are studies in
branding and operations management. It’s a shame she has not gotten more credit
for them.
I must admit I was smitten at the phrase “arranging flowers
is impossible” in her book (it so is!) but it’s this video that takes the cake. I love how she winces while not wincing when Charlie Rose completely kills the pronunciation
of “Devonshire” (he got it wrong). The end is the best when Charlie tells her
that she is one of the most interesting people he’s ever met. The look on her
face barely masks her thoughts. “Thank you. You are just the latest in a series
of pompous wind bags I’ve had to deal with my whole life to get things done. I
can’t be bothered with people who can’t be bothered to learn to pronounce
Devonshire. I’ve had more interesting
conversations with my chickens.”
I hope when I am 90, that I am a fraction as awesome as the
Dowager Duchess of Devonshire.
No comments:
Post a Comment