Sunday, February 5, 2012

24 hours in New York...

Ger took me to New York this weekend! We had a ton of fun visiting some of our favorite places. We started off at Ayurveda Cafe - for vegetarian thali lunch.



All of the six flavors are represented and it's a pre-set menu everyday. No tourists in this upper west side joint, just locals grabbing a quick lunch before getting on with their day.

After getting our vedic alignment, we were ready for tons of walking. After checking into our times square hotel and getting Spiderman tickets at tkts, we walked in loops till we ended up at our old faithful...



Yup the Afghan Kebab house. A perfect place to eat before catching a broadway play (for us in the "fly zone" no less!) We were able to grab a drink after the play in our hotel lobby, which had an amazing fireplace (yay for deals on hotwire!)

The next day had us up with a breakfast in the west village, starting at bleeker streer. It was so nice to see all the cute shops, some that are the same some that changed. This time our walking had an agenda, as my sis-in-law had given me a gift certificate to Eataly!

Now- a word about Eataly and Mario Batali. I'm not normally one for celebrity anything (this is a private blog for a reason). But I remember meeting him briefly at a food network event when the food network was just getting started (this was years ago). Jenny had given me her ticket cause she couldn't go (nabisco was a corporate sponsor) and Mario was having a seminar about italian cooking. There were other chefs there but he was the only one handing out samples of his cooking (like a spaghetti with anchovy sauce). I remember watching him cook and talk about the food and he was very excited about it and wanted you to be excited about it and he probably paid for those samples himself. He probably just really wanted you to try it, even if the sample was small hey he was the only one giving out samples. So I've had a soft spot for his work since then.

That said, I live in Philly, if you know what I mean. But Eataly was awesome! Yup those are my prince edward island and new zealand shell fish side by side there. If I had a cooler I would have used my gift certificate on that but instead Ger and I got some bread and cheese and deli meats for a quick lunch. The store had really good energy - it really gave me a ton of ideas to try this week at home!


We finished back at Times Square, grabbed our luggage and headed home...



but as we were leaving, someone wanted to wave to us goodbye!!!



All in all, a jam packed 24 hours!

No comments:

Post a Comment