Sunday, March 21, 2010

Book Club of One

I really miss my New England, partners of med students book club. I miss you guys! Last year, after we moved I focused on volume of reading, and was pretty proud to average roughly 1 book a week.

This year, I've been trying to focus on depth and digging through topics and books that intrigued me last year. I'm almost finished with Alan Greenspan's "Age of Turbulence", and plowing through, "Guns, Germs and Steel". However, I have to just abandon Ralph Nader's "Only the Super Rich can Save Us". I know I won't get "credit" for finishing it but I think I'm going to have to be okay with that.

I'm kind of disturbed that Alan Greenspan attributed a lot the rise in GDP to productivity gains from corporations installing I.T. I had a front row seat (at Prudential Insurance and later at Bear Stearns, which is a whole other post) for the execution of those projects and I it seemed to me that a lot of corporate I.T. was a drain on productivity not the other way around.

No comments:

Post a Comment